Messaging app for teenagers, includes group messaging
With nothing but the cost of an internet connection, Kik Messenger allows users to connect with their friends via real-time chatting along with text and picture messaging. The app is completely free to download, and it is one of the most popular messaging programs on the mobile marketplace.
The Android version of the the app includes many features that put it on par with other top-tier messaging apps. There is a notification system that tells the user when messages have been read, sent, and delivered, just like the top-of-the-line messaging apps and native smartphone messaging apps.
Group chats are also possible with Kik Messenger. Users can quickly and conveniently create a new group chat in order to organize events or ask a group of people to help with an issue. Each group can have many users included, and each user can be in many different chat groups at once.
Something that most users deeply enjoy about the app is that it comes with a web browser built into the software, so users can click hyperlinks directly within the app. This prevents the link from opening in the native web browser, which saves a ton of time.
There are quite a few messaging apps out there, but Kik Messenger is surprisingly functional and smooth. The interface is intuitive and minimalistic, and the features are clearly discoverable. Registering with the app can be a bit of a hassle compared to similar apps, but that is a negligible negative. Users looking to maximize their communication potential should certainly download Kik Messenger if for no other reason than it is free and it connects to a vast network of existing users.
- Completely free to use
- In-depth notification system
- Integrated web browser
- Complex registration process
Kik has a brand new look! It's more fun and easy to use, so you can spend less time hunting for photos and GIFs and more time chatting with friends.
• Quickly find friends, start groups and discover bots with the "+" menu
• It's easier to send your favorite photos, GIFs, stickers and smileys - they're under the text field for easy access
• When you have a lot to say and send several messages in a row, chat bubbles will group together
• Looking for faded D? We made the S, D and R colors darker!
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access approximate location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION.
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access precise location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
- CAMERA: Required to be able to access the camera device.
- GET_ACCOUNTS: Allows access to the list of accounts in the Accounts Service.
- READ_CONTACTS: Allows an application to read the user's contacts data.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device.
- RECORD_AUDIO: Allows an application to record audio.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Allows an application to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting. If you don't request this permission, you will not receive the broadcast at that time. Though holding this permission does not have any security implications, it can have a negative impact on the user experience by increasing the amount of time it takes the system to start and allowing applications to have themselves running without the user being aware of them. As such, you must explicitly declare your use of this facility to make that visible to the user.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.